Hello virtual world! I am trying to get as many Beta readers as possible for my YA Fictional novel. I need your feedback and support here:-) With the way the digital era seems to be sweeping across the world, young minds are being consumed with the alternate worlds that video games supply, leaving the imagination department up to the game creators. While gaming is wonderfully entertaining and texting is a fast way of messaging, without reading our youth is doomed to become more illiterate than the generations before them.
Many authors write for several different reasons, I write to put the imagination ball back into the courts of our youth and young adults. Our minds-not game controllers-are the most capable of transporting us from reality to wherever we want to go. I aim to put the power of imagination and renovation back into the hands of every generation who's been consumed. Yes, just by writing a book;-) That's how powerful a tool I believe reading to be. I write not to help you escape to a different world, but to push you to create a new one.
I would love to know what everyone thinks of my debut novel. I sincerely appreciate all of your time and input guys-thank you!:-D
Thank you for your support everyone!
~Kristen
Here's a couple of interesting facts I got from an article written by Stuart Wolpert in 2009, (http://newsroom.ucla.edu/portal/ucla/is-technology-producing-a-decline-79127.aspx).
According to research by Patricia Greenfield, UCLA distinguished professor of psychology and director of the Children's Digital Media Center, Los Angeles,
"Studies show that reading develops imagination, induction, reflection and critical thinking, as well as vocabulary," Greenfield said. "Reading for pleasure is the key to developing these skills. Students today have more visual literacy and less print literacy. Many students do not read for pleasure and have not for decades."
She continues on to say "Reading for pleasure, which has declined among young people in recent decades, enhances thinking and engages the imagination in a way that visual media such as video games and television do not," Greenfield said.
No comments:
Post a Comment